How to reduce the fear and anxiety of a Job Interview
The easiest way to make it through the nerve-wracking days before a big interview is to have a plan to Be Yourself. In practical terms, here is a checklist that will help.
- Is your resume 100% accurate and truthful?
If it is all true, then you don’t have to worry. Talking about your achievements and experience will come more naturally (practice helps too). Creating success stories is the easiest way to practice talking about yourself in the context of work.
- Are you a fit to the job? Do you feel you could do whatever is asked of you?
If you somehow got a job interview and you aren’t totally qualified, but you want the opportunity. Disclose your weakness at the start of the interview in a positive way before you are asked about any weaknesses or concerns. Say something like “I can do 90% of this job and the other 10% I may need some guidance” You may be surprised that this honesty gets you the job!
- Are your references on board and aware you are on a job search?
References like an ex-boss usually want to help you succeed. Talking to them on a regular basis will make you feel more confident about yourself and that they will say good things about you. As a bonus, your reference may have some job opportunities to tell you about.
There are lots of other suggestions such as meditation or relaxation techniques. My opinion is that if you aren’t regularly doing these things, just before an interview is not the best time to start until everything else is already prepared; from your 3 second resume (bring 2 clean copies) to interview tips and success stories.
Sleeping and eating well. Dressing up. All good.
Here are some more tips on how to reduce the fear and anxiety of a job interview from Undercover Recruiter @undercoverRec and Casey Fleischmann @caseyjfleisch